Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mtsiliza Village

We have just returned from visiting our first village...and the experience was overwhelming. That is truly the only way that I can describe it.
We woke up early this morning and got ready to go to church on the African Bible College campus, or ABC. The service was very nice, and the preacher was American so we were able to understand everything. We sang worship songs accompanied by one man playing a very old piano - which sure made me appreciate the amazing worship bands at Summit even more than I already did. After the service we left to go into the village...

When we were driving into the village, the kids were all standing on the side of the road screaming and waving and dancing for us. We went to the village center at feeding time for the COTN village assistance program. There were hundreds of kids waiting to receive a small bowl of rice and meat. The children were so dirty and their clothes were worn and torn.

I held a small child for about 30 minutes and another few gathered around me. They were so happy to be in our company and they were absolutely obsessed with my camera! They kept saying, "One pik-cha. One pik-cha!" The smell from these children is so strong that I have a serious headache right now.

I feel overwhelmed.





1 comment:

Demi Hines said...

This is almost ver batim how I am describing a paper I'm writing for my humanities class right now. I also have been to mtsiliza and I stayed at ABC. It is nice to have something to look back on to refesh my memory. thanks. -Demi