Thursday, July 19, 2007

VCT

First, I just want to say that traveling is going to become addicting. I can already see that.

I am riding in a bus looking out the window at the African terrain that God created. I love the sparatic, random mountains thrown into a mostly flat terrain. Is this symbolic for the way life sometimes is? The trees look just like you'd imagine they would. There are so many beautiful mountains that you'd want to hike.

"COLGATE. Let's save the world from cavities!" That billboard just made me giggle.

Yesterday after we left the clinic, we went back to the camp and I was feeling really tired. We were going back to the village to eat dinner at a potluck. That really scared me and I didn't want to do it at all. But then, after we got there, God slapped me in the face because it was wonderful. I didn't eat anything from the village - just because I was afraid of getting sick - but I did eat the rice and beans that we brought from the camp. It was interesting eating with our hands.

I think our whole group is in awe of how caring and giving these people are. They literally have nothing to give, yet they are having a potluck dinner for us. They call us family, and welcome us as brothers and sisters. And they always thank us. How is that possible?? We should be thanking them for the amazing people that they are. The mother of the 32 children that first night at the House of Peace thanked us...unbelievable.

They allowed us to get up and eat first, but before we did a few children from the village came around and washed our hands with a bucket of water. I couldn't help but be reminded of Jesus washing the hands of those "lower" than him. I see God in these children. I felt God in that room.

The Malawians from the village danced and sang for us during the dinner. The only thing I think when I hear these children singing is that this perfect harmony could be from none other than the living God. We always say how "poor" they are - but my God how truly poor we are sometimes. I have never seen community like this between people - this love, faith, and joy.

Tio nana! ("See you later!" in Chichewa)


No comments: