Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Bunch of Hokey-Pokey

I am feeling a little drained today. I'm not sure if it is the jet-lag, the change in atmosphere, or what. We went back to the village at 8:30 this morning and went into the schools grades K-9. The school systems here consist of an open room with no chairs - no desks - and no supplies. My small group of four was assigned to a kindergarten classroom.

The children were so eager to learn. I can't help but think about all the times I didn't want to wake up to go to school. When you think of that old tale, "I walked to school barefoot, two miles, uphill both ways..." I swear to you, these children really do. School for these children lasts from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. with two 30 minute breaks. So, as you can imagine - 2 hours of school per day where attendance is sparce is a reality.

The children recited the whole alphabet in English for us. If you don't believe that there is hope in Africa - that someday there will be a change - I challenge you to visit a kindergarten classroom in Malawi. Because even though these schools are not what we, as Americans are accustomed to, these children want to learn. They want to grow up to be leaders. When we asked the kids what they wanted to be when they grow up, the answers were the same there as they are here. "A doctor! A nurse! A teacher! A journalist!" We are not that different.

We read a book to them, and played some games - including the hokey-pokey, head-shoulders-knees-and toes, which they loved. Even though they don't speak Engish, any game that can be translated or shown through motion is wonderful.

I want to pray for all of these little souls - because God cares about each one of them. It seems so easy to get caught up, lost, confused, overwhelmed, etc...by the mass numbers of children swarming all around us at every moment - and to forget that each beautiful little face is an individual - with different thoughts, feelings - a different soul.

I don't know if all the thoughts and revelations about this trip will hit me right now - it may not until after I leave Africa.

We went on a tour of the Children of the Nation's facilities right in the center of Mtsiliza Village. First, to the House of Prayer where nine orphan girls receive full home care from COTN - they sang a song for us and presented us with their testimonies. Then we went next door to the House of Grace where eight boys aged 16-20 were saved and brought into full home care by COTN. They also told us their testimonies - they had lost both parents and were living along with no home, no hope. Jesus, they love you so much and they believe so wholeheartedly in your grace.

Then we visited the kitchen were the food for over 400 children is prepared two times every day by only 6 women. Simply amazing.
Next we saw a few women from the Widow's Program - where COTN is teaching widows to rehabilitate themselves after losing their husbands. One woman told her story of how she lost her husband and still had 8 children to care for at home and also 2 more children she took in when her sister died. Her husband, of course, was the financial provider for the family, so she was left with nothing. The widows are learning how to sew, knit, and crochet so they can make items to sell in the market to make money to buy food. Parts of their profits pay for the materials to make the items, and another part of the profits is put aside as savings so eventually these women can start their own small businesses.

I feel ashamd as Americans of how extremely wasteful we are. These Malawians make the absolute most of everything that they have. From reusing plastic bags to using dried corn husks as string - I feel ashamed of the things I throw into my own garbage every day.

I need to be way more intentional about reading my bible. I want to memorize more verses. It is amazing how these children, who barely speak any English, know tons of bible verses by heart and what they mean.

We went back to the feeding area and played with teh children there. I found the little child that attached to my leg and my heart. She is so beautiful and so sweet and SMART! Sitting on the ground, we wrote the alphabet in chalk on the floor of the building and laughed and sang and hugged and danced. And then when the whole group prayed as the leader led the prayer, she bowed her head and held my hands as we prayed together. Then I taught her to say, "Thank you Jesus." Everytime I would put my hands together to pray, she would say, "Thank you Je-sa-us."

















No comments: