Saturday, July 14, 2007

Addis Ababa

We have landed in Ethiopia - Addis Ababa to be exact. I know that probably means nothing to you. Local time: 8:00 a.m.

I am trying to take everything in - the smells, the sounds, the signs, the languages. I'll tell you one thing for sure - a pack of 46 Americans huddled together stands out in a place like this. There are military security men all around - in suits similar to the American Marines only the colors are blue. There is an Ethiopian woman standing in the hallway of the airport screaming at the top of her lungs, and I have no idea what she's saying - but if I had to guess just by the tone of her high-pitched screams, I'd say that she's sick and tired of being at this airport but she has no idea how to get home. Oh, and she also hates airport personnel.

The flight was much better than I expected...and I was able to sleep mostly the whole time! Thank youuuuu sleeping pill. My next door neighbor, as I'd like to call him, asked me if I could get him some of what I'd been having - because apparently I didn't even wake up when we landed to refuel in Rome or when we took off from there. Yikes - maybe it was a horse tranquilizer and not a sleeping pill.
We still have about 3-4 hours to go before we land in Malawi and take a bus to the COTN camp. Everyone on our team seems to be enduring the travel well.

Being around so many different people from all over the world really makes you feel small. Small does not mean meaningless - just small.

As we were walking through the airport, I was thinking "Wow. I am in Africa. I'm really in....Africa." Everything is different here - but the same. That statement sounds confusing, but if you were here you would understand what I mean. I am so thankful for the opportunity to go on this trip. I hope that I will do so many great things through the Lord.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6



No comments: